School lunches can become repetitive and tedious; the following is a list of 5 easy recipes for our kids to enjoy.
- 400g of pasta
- 4-5 tablespoons of fresh pesto
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
- ½ a juiced lemon
- 200g of mixed cooked veg (e.g., peas, green beans, courgette)
- 100g of cherry tomatoes in quarters
- Choice of 200g of cooked of chicken, ham, prawns, hard-boiled egg or cheese
- Cook the pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain and tip into a bowl. Stir in the pesto and leave to cool.
- When the pasta is cool, stir through the mayo, yogurt, lemon juice and veg. Spoon into lunchboxes or on to pasta plates and put the cooked chicken or protein of your choice on top. Chill until ready to eat if intended for a packed lunch.
- Vegetable oil spray
- 4 large eggs
- 3 finely chopped spring onions
- 1 cup of creamed corn
- 50g of grated tasty cheese
- Heat the oven to 180°C and spray 10 holes of a muffin tray with vegetable oil.
- Mix all the ingredients together and spoon into the pan; fill each muffin cavity about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set in the middle.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- 1 cup of self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup of rolled oats
- 1 cup of Cornflakes
- 150g of butter
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of sultanas
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup of chocolate bits
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/2 cup of coconut
- in a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Stir in melted butter, vanilla, honey and beaten egg.
- Drop tablespoons of mixture onto baking trays lined with baking paper. Flatten with a fork.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 180C.
- 2 kiwifruits
- 200 g of dark chocolate
- Pop sticks
- Cover a flat tray with baking paper and place in the fridge.
- Peel and slice each kiwifruit into 4 thick wedges.
- Push the pop sticks gently into each slice.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave in a glass bowl in 30 second bursts, stirring well in between.
- Dip the kiwi into chocolate and tap off excess gently. Place on cooled tray and return to fridge to set.
- 100g of pecan
- 75g of raisin
- 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed (or a mix – milled flaxseed, almond, Brazil nut or walnut mix)
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon of agave syrup
- 50g of desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- Put pecans in a food processor and blitz to crumbs. Add raisins, peanut butter, flaxseeds, cocoa powder and agave syrup, then pulse to combine.
- Shape the mixture into golf ball-sized spheres and coat in the coconut. Put in the fridge to firm for 20 mins.