There’s a health revolution occurring globally centred around Green Smoothies. The word is spreading and our ears are opening to the “Popeye” effect of leafy greens and the Green Smoothie, which is a convenient, tasty and simple way to consume significant amounts of greens.
Leafy greens are the most deficient of food in today’s diets. A Green Smoothie can be the perfect way to increase your consumption of daily greens. Most of us wouldn’t have the time, patience or fortitude to eat a very large amount of leafy greens on a plate. However, if we blend the same amount into a smoothie, the perceived intake seems minimal, it is far more palatable and it can be consumed relatively quickly. Even our children are participating and loving the “green monster” revolution.
Here are some of the many health benefits that can be attributed to having Green Smoothies:
- WEIGHT LOSS: The fibre and water consumed in a Smoothie provides perfect sustenance to maintaining fullness and hydration.
- REDUCED CRAVINGS: Nourishing Green Smoothies will naturally crowd out desire for junk food.
- ENERGISED: They provide a powerful boost of nutrition, loaded with calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous, zinc and vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as many other micronutrients and phytochemicals.
- IMMUNE BOOSTING: Blending leafy green vegetables and fruit makes digestion easier and nutrients more accessible, while providing an antioxidant-rich meal that provides the body with the best defence against disease.
- CLEAR SKIN: They’re high in fibre which is essential for good colon health. This allows the elimination of toxins the right way instead of through the skin.
- ALKALISE: They have an alkalising effect on the body. In modern diets people consume large quantities of meat, dairy, refined sugar and grains, thus creating a more acidic disease-thriving environment in the body.
- DETOX: Greens are rich in chlorophyll, providing oxygen to the body’s cells. Chlorophyll is known as a blood purifier and detoxifier.
To make a Green Smoothie the only thing you need is a good blender and some fresh produce – leafy greens like spinach, kale and silverbeet blended up with some fruit and water. Here’s how you too can try out the Green Smoothie.
- Use your favourite fruit such as a banana, avocado or mango as the base
- Select a leafy green vegetable – start off with a light tasting one such as spinach
- Avoid dairy products
- Try adding Chia or Flax seeds which are rich in omega 3 and high in protein
- Keep your blender countertop so you’re not reaching into the cupboard everyday.
Tip: As you become accustomed to the taste reduce the amount of fruit keeping in mind you want to enjoy the taste and look forward to the next one!
The following smoothie recipe has been a regular feature on my breakfast menu!
Dandelion’s Daily Special
- 4 silverbeet leaves
- 2 celery stalks
- 12 mint leaves
- 2 banana frozen
- 2 Tablespoon flaxseeds
- 3 cupsl filtered water
- 1 teaspoon Macca not essential
- 1 cup ice
- Blend until desired consistency is reached and serve
So why not jump on board, get those blenders out and start making green smoothies! Do it for a week and see how you feel. You won’t want to miss a day!